BIGSOUND: Party Safe.
Take hundreds of talented performers, the entire Australian music industry (plus our mates overseas), then add a couple thousand punters to the mix... BIGSOUND is a party like no other, with a stacked guestlist.
Like any good host, we want everyone to feel safe and welcome at this year’s event, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, race or religion. “Party Safe” is our #1 house rule, and anyone involved in harmful behaviour will face serious consequences.
- Following state, federal and local laws, as well as event policies.
- Refraining from offensive comments, verbal discrimination, aggression, physical violence, abuse or harassment of any kind.
- Consuming alcohol responsibly. Pace yourself, stay hydrated, know your limits.
- Refraining from the sale or use of illicit substances. If you are using illicit drugs, be aware that the simultaneous consumption of multiple types of drugs, including alcohol, increases your risk of overdose, injury or death.
- Alerting a member of staff or security if you, or someone around you is feeling unwell or distressed.
- Practicing active consent. Consent is not the absence of a “No”, it’s the presence of a “Yes”, given freely, clearly and without coercion. Consent can be withdrawn at any time.
- Maintaining a safe social distance from others, where possible. Please also refrain from moshing and crowd-surfing.
- Staying home or at your accommodation if you’re feeling sick.
QMusic will take appropriate action to manage any breach of the above conditions, including the revoking of perpetrators’ credentials without refund, termination of contract, banning from any future QMusic events and reporting of the matter to relevant authorities.
Support is available by:
- Visiting safe spaces within the conference and festival precinct (more information will become available closer to the event)
- QMusic’s Where To Go For Help Resources
At the end of the day, BIGSOUND is a massive event. We rely on our entire community to look out for each other and speak up if something doesn’t seem right. If you’ve experienced or witnessed behaviour which violates the conditions above, we want to hear about it. Please get in touch by emailing email@example.com (all disclosures will be dealt with sensitively and escalated appropriately). Notifying QMusic does not constitute or replace reporting to police or seeking help through relevant support services. All legal offences should be reported to Police 131 444 or in an emergency 000.
The above guidelines outline the basic standards we expect at BIGSOUND, and all our music events.
In reality, we know so many conference and festival goers will exceed these standards during their time at BIGSOUND: someone will be the first person to step up to the barrier during a nerve-racking artist showcase, someone will help to amplify quieter voices at their conference table, and someone will offer a hot chip to a stranger in Brunswick Street Mall, after the afterparty.
We’re counting down the days until our entire industry is reunited IRL, for the first time since 2019! Just remember, BIGSOUND is a marathon of a party, where the effects of tiredness, intoxication and overstimulation all take a toll on people. Showing respect, empathy and understanding towards each other will make the ride smoother.
Thank you for your commitment to everyone’s safety and enjoyment during our blowout 21st year! See you at the party.